Becoming a professional in your future career field does not happen overnight. Exploration, engagement, and strategic vision are essential to laying the foundation for a satisfying career. As a College of Business student, you have access to resources that will help you to thrive in your future career field. The preparation starts now. Use the outline below to help manage your knowledge and career development.
- Set up an appointment with a career advisor to discuss your major and career plans.
- Familiarize yourself with Career Success Center services and resources.
- Write a basic resume.
- If you’re unsure of a career direction, take a career-assessment or enroll in the BA 199 career course.
- Explore your interests and abilities by joining a club or organization, volunteering, and attending career-related events.
- Make an appointment with a career advisor to discuss your major and experiential learning opportunities.
- Receive a resume critique from a career advisor and strengthen your resume.
- Go on a job shadow or complete an informational interview.
- Attend career events to practice networking.
- Take on more responsibilities in clubs and organizations.
- Obtain an internship to explore future careers and develop career-related experience.
- Meet with a career advisor to discuss internship opportunities and search strategies.
- Update resume and post it to Beaver Careers.
- Participate in a mock interview.
- Create a LinkedIn profile.
- Explore career paths by completing five informational interviews.
- Attend career fairs and CSC networking events to discover job opportunities and build professional relationships.
- Begin seeking for summer internships in the fall.
- Complete an internship in your degree field.
- Work with a career advisor to ensure your resume is competitive and tailored to your future career field.
- Meet with a career advisor to develop a job search timeline.
- Attend career fairs and other networking events to build relationships with employers.
- Register for the mock interview event or schedule a mock interview with a career advisor.
- Research market trends and salary expectations for your career field.
- Develop a list of prospective employers and contact info.
- Go on employment interviews, evaluate job offers and accept one!