The Innovation Management option emphasizes innovation, technology commercialization and entrepreneurship to prepare graduates to assume leadership roles in emerging businesses. This MBA option provides the student background, tools and experiential learning in the management of innovative business and technical concepts.
A core element of the Innovation Management option is the completion of a self-paced experiential project based on development/analysis of an innovative business or technical concept. Topics for the experiential project can come from a variety of sources:
- OSU research faculty will present potential projects to students at "Idea Fairs."
- Potential projects will be sourced from regional startups, early-phase companies and corporate partners. Each idea must have a project sponsor who is the source of the concept and will provide background and advice over the duration of the project.
- Students may also propose their own ideas as the basis for their project. Students with their own project ideas are required to participate in the four week "Iterate" early-stage program at the Advantage Accelerator and receive the approval of an Accelerator director before beginning work on the project.
Graduates of the MBA in Innovation Management will be able to:
- Develop a research-driven, investor-ready lean-canvas business model and plan to take an innovative idea to market
- Present a compelling argument for funding
The Innovation Management option requires 60 credit-hours of coursework, including:
Core-1 coursework (15 credits)
BA 513 Business Legal Environment (3)
BA 514 Operations Management (3)
BA 515 Managerial Decision Tools (3)
BA 516 Creating Value in Exchange (3)
BA 517 Markets and Valuation (3)
Note: Core-1 requirements may be waived if a candidate has a recent undergraduate major in business, or has completed equivalent coursework within an undergraduate business minor.
Core-2 coursework (27 credits)
BA 528 Financial and Cost Analysis (3)
BA 540 Corporate Finance (3)
BA 550 Organization Leadership and Management (3)
BA 555 Practical Business Analysis (3)
BA 561 Supply Chain Management (3)
BA 569 Advanced Strategic Management (3)
BA 572 Advanced Information Systems (3)
BA 590 Marketing Management (3)
MGMT 559 Managing Ethics and Corporate Social Responsibility (3)
Innovation Management coursework (18 credits)
BA 531 Business Law – Technology/New Ventures (3)
BA 560 Venture Planning (3)
BA 562 Managing Projects (3)
BA 567 Special Topics in Management (3)
BA 568 Integrated Business Project (3)
BA 570 Innovation Strategy, IP, and NPD (3)