Students in the IMDD program will gain expertise in developing new ideas and inventions and will learn how to take these ideas through the innovation and commercialization process. The IMDD curriculum is anchored in business basics such as accounting and marketing and supplements the technical skills developed in the primary major. Graduates are prepared to be more productive and innovative members of an organization.
BUSINESS MAJORS may not add the Innovation Management Double Degree. Only non-Business majors are eligible for this credential.
How to Earn Innovation Management Double Degree
How to Apply
Important facts regarding the Innovation Management Double Degree (IMDD)
- This credential is only available as a Double Degree, and cannot be completed as a primary degree.
- The IMDD is not available to students majoring in the following:
- Business Administration (Entrepreneurship Option)
- Business Information Systems
- Requires completion of 36 total credits with a minimum of 24 credits being unique to the IMDD program and not used in another major, minor or option. This means that students may not double count more than 12 credits of courses being used toward completion of another credential.
- All College of Business Progression Standards apply to this degree
- Unless otherwise noted, all prerequisite course work must be completed with a C- or higher
Students must complete the following 36 credits of Required Courses.
If more than three of the courses listed below are taken as part of a student's existing major, minor or option, they must select from the Additional Courses listed on the next page in order to meet the 24-unique-credit minimum.
||Course Titles (with course prerequisites and class standing)
||Fundamentals of Accounting (SOPH)
||Introduction to Entrepreneurship (SOPH)
|Managing Organizations (JR)
or, Managing Team and Individual Performance, if already taken
||Technology and Innovation Management (BA 260 and JR)
||Principles of Marketing (ECON 201 and JR)
||Leadership (BA 351 or BA 352 and SR)
||Innovation and Product New Development (BA 390 and SR)
Entrepreneurship majors have priority for seats in Winter term
||Technology Commercialization (BA 363 or instructor permission and SR)
||Professional Development (BA 101, COMM 111/114, WR 2 and JR)
Writing Intensive Course (WIC) - limited space
TOTAL: 36 credits
As previously mentioned, students must complete 36 total credits to earn the IMDD with a minimum of 24 credits being unique to the IMDD program and not used in another major, minor or option.
If more than three of the Required Courses are part of a student's existing major, minor or option, then one or more of the courses below must be taken in order to achieve the required 24-unique-credit minimum.
Students may only take a course from this list if they cannot achieve the 24-unique-credit minimum using the Required Courses list.
|Course Number and Title (with course prerequisites and class standing)
|BA 460 Venture Management (BA 260, BA 351 or BA 352, BA 390 and SR)
|BA 464 Venture Finance (BA 260, BA 360 or FIN 340 and SR)
|MRKT 488 Personal Selling (BA 390 and JR)
To be eligible to declare the IMDD, the following must be true at time of evaluation:
- Have earned a C- or better in any Required Courses already taken, whether at OSU or transfer school.
- Have an IMDD GPA of 2.5 or better. The IMDD GPA only includes grades from the Required and Additional Courses taken at OSU.
- Transfer courses that were (a) completed with a C- or better and (b) approved as equivalent to Required and Additional Courses will be used to meet specific course requirements but their grades will not be used in the IMDD GPA.
- Have a 2.0 or better in most recent term OSU GPA and in cumulative OSU GPA.
A maximum of 45 students per academic year (summer term - spring term) may be accepted into the IMDD program.
How to Earn the Innovation Management Double Degree
All of the following must be true to earn the IMDD:
- Double degree seeking students must complete a minimum of 212 total credits at graduation.
- Complete all Required Courses (and any Additional Course, if necessary) with a C- or better in each course.
- Complete 36 total credits with a minimum of 24 credits being unique to the IMDD and not used in another major, minor or option.
- Earn an IMDD GPA of 2.5 or better. Transfer courses that were (a) completed with a C- or better and (b) approved as equivalent to Required and Additional Courses will be used to meet specific course requirements but their grades will not be used in the IMDD GPA.
- Earn a letter grade (A-F) for each course. The S/U grading system is not allowed for any course used to earn the IMDD.
- 51% or more of courses used to satisfy IMDD requirements must be completed at OSU either on campus or via Ecampus.
- Upper division requirements can be satisfied using transfer credits only if the business school has AACSB accreditation.
- If retaking a course to improve a grade, refer to the Retaking Courses policy (link opens in New Window) to learn which grade will be used to compute the IMDD GPA.
- When applying online for graduation, students submit an additional and separate application for this major.
How to Apply
To apply, please go to the Apply to Innovation Management Double Degree (IMDD) page.
If you have questions, please contact COB Advising.