VISA: may or may not be necessary to obtain in order to enter a given country. Requirements vary depending on your citizenship.

RESIDENCE PERMIT: always necessary to obtain in order to reside in a given country for purposes of study for 90 days or more. Sometimes this term is used interchangeably with "visa" even though visas truly refer only to authorization to enter a country. See your specific program below for details.

NOTE: The information below applies only to U.S. citizens. If you are a citizen of another country, you are responsible for researching the forms, procedures and time frames necessary for obtaining the required visa and/or residence permit.  Please note this may take additional time - plan accordingly. 


Visa/Residence Permit processes can be changed/updated often.  This is determined by the host country, not OSU or the U.S.  Although information below is updated periodically, it is important to review government websites of the country to be visited for the most current and accurate information. 
[Information below last updated on: June 7, 2017]

All College of Business Exchange Programs are listed alphabetically by country.

Australia, Sydney | University of Technology Sydney (UTS):

After a student applies and then accepts an official offer of admission by signing/submitting the Letter of Offer, UTS will send the student an electronic Certificate of Enrollment (eCoE). The eCoE is needed to apply for the non-award, temporary Australian Student Visa using the streamlined visa processing.

  • Online Application - go to this link to lodge your application.
  • The visa application fee is approximately $500 US dollars.
  • Australian visa requirements include purchasing their government's health insurance referred to as OSHC. (Note: students will also be required to purchase OSU's study abroad insurance.)
  • Applicants are notified via e-mail if/when their applications are approved and further instructions are given
  • UTS pre-departure information 

Austria, Vienna | Vienna University of Business Economics (WU):

Students planning to stay in Austria and the Schengen area for over 90 days in total must apply for a long-stay D visa.

Students holding a US or Canadian passport will submit their D visa applications at the Austrian Consulate in Bratislava (Slovakia) after arriving in Austria. Bratislava is located only one hour by train or bus from Vienna, and a round trip costs about € 15. The International Office at WU will assist students with making appointments at the Austrian Consulate in Bratislava and arrange travel to/from Bratislava.

Documents Required to Apply for D Visa after Arriving in Austria:

    1. Letter of admission issued by WU
    2. Letter verifying your nomination by College of Busines to participant in WU exchange program
    3. Fully completed and signed application form for Visa D
    4. Two recent color passport pictures, sized 3.5 x 4.5 cm (The following resource was provided by WU International Office: http://www.passbildkriterien.at
    5. Valid passport (must be valid for at least three months beyond date of leaving Austria) 
    6. Photocopy of passport indentification page and photocopies of pages that contain entries and stamps
    7. Proof of accommodation in Austria: e.g. tenancy contract, confirmation of accommodation by the OeAD Housing Office
    8. Proof of health insurance - letter issued by insurance company confirming complete coverage for the entire duration of your stay in Austria
    9. Proof of financial means - acceptable forms of documentation include: bank statement with full transactions of last three months including name and address, pay stubs, scholarship, letter of grants, tax returns, proof of pension, or other proof of income
    10. If available, return flight reservation

CHILE, Santiago | Universidad De chile, facultad de economia y negocios (FEN):

Students can choose to enter Chile on a tourist visa which is valid for 90 days.  Many students then elect to go to Mendoza in Argentina, before 90 days has expired, for a long weekend and then re-enter Chile to get another 90 days.  There is a reciprocity fee to pay online BEFORE entering Argentina. 

It is preferred that students obtain a student visa prior to traveling to Chile as this will also allow eligibility for the Student Metro Card which provides substantial discounts on public transportation in Santiago.  With the student visa, students will need to register with the International Police Bureau and register for a national ID card within 30 days of arriving in Chile.  Visit the Chile Governmet website for more information.  


China, Hong Kong SAR | City University of Hong Kong:

Students who are nominated by COB will receive an e-mail from City University explaining how to access the online application system. In addition to submitting the online appication, students must submit the following documentation to the address below in order to apply for the required study visa:

  • Complete the ID995A “Application for Entry for Study in Hong Kong” and sign at the bottom of pages 1, 2, 3 and 4
  • If you have changed your name before, please provide a certified copy for the official used name in the application.  The certified copy must be written in either English or Chinese
  • Affix 1 passport-size photo onto page 2 of the ID995A
  • Complete the College of Business Visa Sponsorship & Payment Form, available via online application system (see more information here)
  • Complete the Insurance Arrangement Form for Non-local Students, available via online application system, along with insurance certificate and policy details in English (see more information here)

Bring these documents to College of Business Advising in Austin Hall 122. These documents will be mailed to City University on behalf of students. Or, students may send the documents themselves to the following address: 

Ms Jasmine Wong
College of Business
12/F, Academic 3
City University of Hong Kong
83 Tat Chee Avenue
Kowloon Tong, Kowloon
Hong Kong

Tel: (852) 3442-5854  (if sending by FedEx, UPS or DHL, then a phone number is required)

Czech Republic, Brno | Mendel University:  

Students who are nominated to study at Mendel University must complete all application materials and bring the Learning Agreement form to COB Advising office in Austin 122 for review and authorization signatures. Scan all of the completed documents and email to the coordinator at Mendel University.

After Mendel University has reviewed and approved the application materials, they will send an official acceptance letter and certification of accommodation to the COB Advising Office. COB Advising will offer to mail these documents to individual students' addresses or students may arrange to pick them up in Austin Hall 122.

After students obtain their full packets of application materials, they will apply for the Czech Long-Term Visa for the purpose of study as outlined by the Consulate General of the Czech Republic - Los Angeles webpage. Please note you must submit your actual passport with all other application materials listed, including a pre-paid, self-addressed FedEx or UPS overnight envelope.

A unique requirement of the Czech Student Visa is that students must be covered by an insurance policy that insures them against injuries while they are inebriated from consumption of alcohol, drugs or other illicit substances. Furthermore, the policy must be translated into the Czech language. In order to meet all of these requirements, the following Czech-based travel insurance companies can meet your needs as these plans were recommended by representatives of the Los Angeles Consulate and Mendel University. Please note that students are responsible for determining which policy they choose to purchase and will still be required to purchase the OSU study abroad insurance.

Pojistovna VZP
Pojistovna Slavia

By Czech law, all applications correctly submitted by applicants must be processed within 60 days.

Denmark, Aarhus | Aarhus University:

Students who are nominated to Aarhus University and submit the online applicaiton will receive an e-mail with attached letters of acceptance and the ST1 residence permit application form. Aarhus University officials will complete part 2 of the ST1 residence permit application and students must complete part 1.

In additon to the ST1 form, student must complete all application materials listed here. Among the application materias, students must create a Case ID. This Case ID is required to pay the application fee and furthermore the Case ID must be entered in part 1 of the ST1 residence permit application.

After all application materials have been compiled (see ST1 form for entire list), students must make an appointment with the Danish Consulate in Sacramento, CA to provide the necessary biometrics and must bring all application materials.

Danish Consulate
One Capitol Mall, Suite 670
Sacramento, CA, 96814
Tel:   (916) 448 9688
E-mail:  sacramento@usa-eurolaw.com
Open hours: Monday - Friday, 9.00am - 4.00pm. By appointment only.
The Consular phone is open every weekday from 8 - 4.30 p.m.

After providing the necessary biometrics at the Sacramento appointment, students will mail their complete applications to the New York Consulate. The application review process takes about 60 days. 


Germany, Bad Mergentheim/Mosbach | Baden-Wuerttemberg Cooperative State University (DHBW):

U.S. citizens apply for the residence permit after entering Germany. No visa is required for U.S. citizens to enter Germany.

Netherlands, Nijmegen | Radboud University Nijmegen School of Management:

Students who are nominated to study at Radboud University and who apply will be contacted by the central International Office with further information on the details for obtaining the residence permit (VVR). Radboud University will  submit the visa/residency permit application for students.  In the meantime, please refer to the Group II guidance posted here to understand the application materials and procedures involved. Students will be required to purchase insurance through Radboud University as well as the mandatory OSU study abroad insurance.  Please note, U.S. citizens are not required to obtain a visa to enter the Netherlands.

Norway, Kristiansand | University of Agder:

Students may plan to obtain the required residence permit when they arrive in Norway.  This must be done in the first days of arrival and students should not make travel plans for outside of Norway until it is obtained.  Another option is to apply for the residence permit through the Norwegian Directorate of Immigration website; click on "Want to Apply," select country of citizenship, and click "Study Permit". Follow the prompts to obtain information on required documents, how to pay the application fee, and other important information, such as setting up an interview at the San Francisco or other appropriate consulate (if required). 

Tthe Royal Norwegian Consulate General in San Francisco contact information is:

575 Market Street, Suite 3950
San Francisco, CA 94105 USA
Phone: (415) 882-2000.
Fax: (415) 882-2001.
E-mail: cgsfo@mfa.no

Bring all required documents to the interview. Consult the online application checklist for details as this list may change.  Review the information that is most current on the Norwegian Directorate website noted above.

Singapore | Singapore Management University (SMU):

Students who are accepted to SMU will be able to apply for the Student Pass online using SOLAR - Student's Pass Online Application & Registration system. SMU administrators will outline the process in detail when issuing admissions documents. 

U.S. citizens are not required to have a visa to enter Singapore.

Spain, Murcia | University of Murcia:

Students must schedule an appointment with the Consulate of Spain located in San Francisco to submit their visa applications.  This should be scheduled as soon as students' are approved to study in Spain in order to secure a good day and time (pick a date in June, right after OSU's Spring term ends, to allow enough processing time).  Follow the "Bookitit" link referenced under Visas on the Consulate of Spain website:

1405 Sutter St.
San Francisco. California 94109.
Telephones: (415) 922 2995/2996.
Fax: 1 (415) 931 9706.
E-mail: Cog.sanfrancisco@maec.es

Prior to travelling to the in-person appointment in San Francisco, students must prepare all student visa application materials as referenced on the visa information webpage (see Student Visa link under the Long Term Visa list). This includes an official admissions letter from University of Murcia and insurance documents from the Office of Global Opportunities (OSU GO) outlining your health insurance coverage through OSU.

Sweden, Lund | Lund University:

Students who are accepted to study at Lund University will submit an online application and must also scan and submit the following documents with that application: 

  • a copy of your passport and of any fellow applicants
  • your admission notification from Lund University
  • proof that you will be able to support yourself and any fellow applicants. If you have bank assets, you must submit a statement indicating that you have your own bank assets available in one or more accounts that belong to you.
  • a certificate stating that you have comprehensive medical insurance if you are going to study in Sweden less than one year
  • document showing that you have accommodation in Sweden.

Students must also provide biometric data, this includes photo and fingerprints, to the Migration Board of Sweden in order to get the residence permit card. If you do not need a visa for travel to Sweden, you should be able to show a copy of the decision of your application when you arrive. As soon as possible after you have arrived in Sweden, you should visit the Migration Board to provide the necessary biometrics, which include being fingerprinted and photographed. When your residence permit card is ready, it will be sent to your address in Sweden.

U.S. citizens do not need a visa to enter Sweden.

Thailand, Bangkok | Chulalongkorn University:

Students accepted to Chula must wait until 90 days prior to departure to apply for a student "ED type" visa. Students will appear in-person at the Portland office located at the following address. It is not necessary to set up an appointment.

Royal Thai Honorary Consulate General
Nicholas J. Stanley, Honorary Consul General
The Maytag Building 1136 NW Hoyt Street, Suite 210
Portland, Oregon 97209 U.S.A.