VISA: may or may not be necessary to obtain in order to enter a given country. Requirements vary depending on your citizenship.

RESIDENCE PERMIT: always necessary to obtain in order to reside in a given country for purposes of study for 90 days or more. Sometimes this term is used interchangeably with "visa" even though visas truly refer only to authorization to enter a country. See your specific program below for details.

NOTE 1: The information below applies only to U.S. citizens. If you are a citizen of another country, you are responsible for researching the forms, procedures and time frames necessary for obtaining the required visa and/or residence permit. Please note this may take additional time — plan accordingly.

NOTE 2: The information provided here is informational ONLY. It is ultimately the student’s responsibility to research visa/permit requirements and submit required materials accordingly. Visa/Residence Permit processes can be changed/updated often. This is determined by the host country, not OSU or the United States. Although information below is updated periodically, it is important to review government websites of the country to be visited for the most current and accurate information.

[Information below last updated on: July 2022]

All College of Business Exchange Programs are listed alphabetically by country.

Australia, Sydney | University of Technology Sydney (UTS):

UTS will send students an electronic Certificate of Enrollment (eCoE) after the student completes their application process. The eCoE is needed to apply for the student visa.

  • Once students receive their eCoE from UTS, they will submit a visa application. Click here for more information on the visa requirements (and links to application).
  • The visa application fee is approximately $500 U.S. dollars.
  • Australian visa requirements include purchasing their government's health insurance referred to as OSHC. (Note: students will also be required to purchase OSU's study abroad insurance.)
  • Applicants are notified via e-mail if/when their applications are approved, and they'll receive further instructions.
  • UTS pre-departure information 

Austria, Vienna | Vienna University of Business Economics (WU):

Students planning to stay in Austria and the Schengen area for over 90 days in total must apply for a long-stay D visa.

Students holding a U.S. or Canadian passport may be able to submit their D visa applications at the Austrian Consulate in Bratislava (Slovakia) after arriving in Austria. Bratislava is located only one hour by train or bus from Vienna, and a round trip costs about €25. The International Office at WU will assist students with making appointments at the Austrian Consulate in Bratislava and arrange travel to/from Bratislava. Although this option exists, students are advised to consider applying for their visa before departing the US.

Documents required to apply for D Visa after arriving in Austria:

  1. Letter of admission issued by WU
  2. Letter verifying your nomination by College of Business to participant in WU exchange program
  3. Fully completed and signed application form for Visa D
  4. Two recent color passport pictures, sized 3.5 x 4.5 cm (click here for photo requirement information provided by WU International Office).
  5. Valid passport (must be valid for at least three months beyond date of leaving Austria) 
  6. Photocopy of passport identification page and photocopies of pages that contain entries and stamps
  7. Proof of accommodation in Austria: e.g. tenancy contract, confirmation of accommodation by the OeAD Housing Office
  8. Proof of health insurance — letter issued by insurance company confirming complete coverage for the entire duration of your stay in Austria
  9. Proof of financial means — acceptable forms of documentation include: bank statement with full transactions of last three months including name and address, pay stubs, scholarship, letter of grants, tax returns, proof of pension or other proof of income
  10. If available, return flight reservation

CHILE, Santiago | Universidad De chile, facultad de economia y negocios (FEN):

Students can choose to enter Chile on a tourist visa which is valid for 90 days. Many students then elect to go to Mendoza in Argentina, before 90 days has expired, for a long weekend and then re-enter Chile to get another 90 days. There is a reciprocity fee to pay online BEFORE entering Argentina. There is a very expensive fine to pay if students do not plan a trip out of Chile before the 90 day deadline.

It is preferred that students obtain a student visa prior to traveling to Chile as this also allows eligibility for the Student Transportation Card which provides substantial discounts on public transportation in Santiago. Students apply with the appropriate Chilean consulate in the US and then must register their visa at the International Police Bureau (Policía Internacional) on their website: https://pdivritual.cerofilas.gob.cl/ AND apply for a carnet de identidad (national ID card), within 30 days of arrival in Chile. Visit the Chile Government website for more information.

China, Hong Kong SAR | City University of Hong Kong:

City University applies for the Hong Kong visa on the student’s behalf. Students will receive an email from City University directing them to an online application system. In addition to completing the entire online application, students must upload the following documentation:

  • Passport-size photo
  • Color copy of Travel Passport containing personal data, photo and signature
  • Proof of Financial Support
    • A color copy of your bank statement/savings account/bank letter stating the current balance OR
    • A color copy of sponsor’s bank statement/savings account/bank letter stating the current balance, PLUS the completed “Financial Sponsorship Declaration” signed by your sponsor AND a color scan copy of the sponsor’s passport containing personal data, photo and signature
  • Official Academic Transcript in English

Students must then submit the following original and signed documents by registered mail to City University on or before application deadline:

  • Complete and sign bottom of pages 1, 2, 3 and 4 of the ID995A “Application for Entry for Study in Hong Kong”
  • If you have changed your name before, please provide a certified copy for the official used name in the application. The certified copy must be written in either English or Chinese
  • Affix 1 passport-size photo onto page 2 of the ID995A
  • City University College of Business Visa Sponsorship & Payment Form
  • All Mainland applicants must provide a color copy of Mainland ID Card (front & back side)
  • All Taiwan applicants must provide a color copy of Taiwan Identity Card (front & back side) TOGETHER with a copy of Taiwan Census Record AND Household Registration Record
  • Students may also send the documents themselves to the following address:
    Ms Jasmine Wong
    College of Business
    12/F, Lau Ming Wai Academic Building
    City University of Hong Kong
    83 Tat Chee Avenue
    Kowloon Tong, Kowloon
    Hong Kong
    Tel: (852) 3442-5854 (if sending by FedEx, UPS or DHL, then a phone number is required)

Czech Republic, Brno | Mendel University:  

Mendel University will send students an official acceptance letter and certification of accommodation which are required for the visa (originals are mailed to the College of Business advising office). Students should begin gathering all required visa documents right away. Then, once students receive the Mendel University letter, they IMMEDIATELY request a visa appointment (instructions on this webpage: https://www.mzv.cz/losangeles/en/visa_information/index.html).

Students should apply for a long-term VISA (for the purpose of Study), with their documents presented in a specific order, as noted on the Los Angeles consulate website:

Students should note that one of the requirements is to purchase a Czech travel medical insurance policy through PVZP. When submitting documents during visa appointment, students will need to hand in their actual passport, including a pre-paid, self-addressed FedEx or UPS overnight envelope (for tracking). All documents (except passport and financial proof) need to be translated into the Czech language. By Czech law, all applications correctly submitted by applicants must be processed within 60 days, and students should expect the full 60 days will be used (calculated starting the date the Consulate General receives the visa application.)


Denmark, Aarhus | Aarhus University:

Students who are nominated to Aarhus University and submit the online application will receive an e-mail from Aarhus with attached letters of acceptance and the ST1 residence permit application form. Aarhus University officials will complete part 2 of the ST1 residence permit application and students must complete part 1.

In addition to the ST1 form, students must provide all application materials listed (review process here). Among the application materials, students must create a Case ID. This Case ID is required to pay the application fee, and, furthermore, the Case ID must be entered in part 1 of the ST1 residence permit application.

After all application materials have been compiled (see ST1 form and checklist for entire list), students must make an appointment with the VFS Global office in San Francisco, California, to provide the necessary biometrics and application materials IN PERSON.

505 Montgomery Street, Suite 1139
San Francisco, CA 94111
Tel: 347-329-2738
E-mail: denmark.usa@vfsglobal.com
Schedule an appointment here

The application review process takes about 60 days; appointments should be scheduled to allow plenty of time to receive permit before traveling.

Germany, Bad Mergentheim/Mosbach | Baden-Wuerttemberg Cooperative State University (DHBW):

U.S. citizens apply for the residence permit after entering Germany. No visa is required for U.S. citizens to enter Germany. DHBW will assist students in obtaining the required permit.

Netherlands, Nijmegen | Radboud University Nijmegen School of Management:

Students will be contacted by Radboud University’s central international office with further information on the details for obtaining the residence permit (VVR). Radboud University will submit the visa/residency permit application for students. Students can review the Visa and Residence permit procedures facilitated by Radboud University here. Students will also be required to purchase insurance through Radboud University as well as the mandatory OSU study abroad insurance. Please note, U.S. citizens are not required to obtain a visa to enter the Netherlands.

Norway, Kristiansand | University of Agder:

Students must apply for a residence permit to study in Norway through the Norwegian Directorate of Immigration website. Select "Want to Apply," enter country of citizenship, click "Study Permit" and select "University". Follow the prompt "How to Apply" to obtain information on required documents, application fees, and other important information, such as setting up an interview at the San Francisco or other appropriate consulate (if required).

Students may choose to apply as if they were already in Norway. They can submit their application documents at the police station in Kristiansand after they arrive (rather than traveling to California).  Students book an appointment at the Police Station after they complete the application on the website. Click Here to start the online application: select "Yes” for already in Norway, then “none of the above” for alternative situation, and then “taking part in an exchange between a Norwegian and a foreign higher education institution," and input Kristiansand as the municipality.A checklist of required documents will be available to review which will be needed for the appointment at the police station when you arrive in Kristiansand. This appointment should be scheduled for some time during the first days of arrival in Kristiansand, and students should not make travel plans for outside of Norway until the permit is obtained. To learn about scheduling the appointment at the police station after completing the residence permit application, click here.

The Royal Norwegian Consulate General in San Francisco contact information is:

575 Market Street, Suite 3950
San Francisco, CA 94105 USA
Phone: (415) 882-2000
Fax: (415) 882-2001
E-mail: cgsfo@mfa.no

Bring all required documents to the interview or police appointment. Consult the online application checklist for details as this list may change. Review the information that is most current on the Norwegian Directorate website noted above.

Singapore | Singapore Management University (SMU):

Students who are accepted to SMU will be required to have a Student Pass. The SMU international office will apply for the student pass on your behalf before arrival. Please refer to the Singapore Immigration and Checkpoints Authority’s website for more information about visas and immigration matters. SMU administrators will outline the process in detail when issuing admissions documents.

U.S. citizens are not required to have a visa to enter Singapore.

Spain, Murcia | University of Murcia:

Students must apply for a visa through the Consulate of Spain located in San Francisco https://www.exteriores.gob.es/Consulados/sanfrancisco/en/Paginas/index.aspx. The procedure has changed often since the pandemic and students need to check the website for latest information and/or email the consulate for the most accurate information. It may involve mailing documents and then traveling to San Francisco to retrieve. It may mean scheduling an appointment to turn in documents in person. This link contains information regarding the required materials for the visa application: https://www.exteriores.gob.es/Consulados/sanfrancisco/en/ServiciosConsulares/Paginas/Consular/Visado-de-estudios.aspx

Note: Students will be required to purchase health insurance from an entity authorized to operate in Spain. This company is one possible option - Sanitas https://www.sanitasexpat.com/sanitas-international-students

Spain Consulate of San Francisco
1405 Sutter St.
San Francisco. California 94109
Telephones: (415) 922 2995/2996
Fax: 1 (415) 931 9706
E-mail: Cog.sanfrancisco@maec.es

Sweden, Lund | Lund University:

Students who are accepted to study at Lund University will submit an online application and must also scan and submit the following documents with that application: 

  • A copy of your passport.
  • Your admission notification from Lund University.
  • Proof that you will be able to support yourself. If you have bank assets, you must submit a statement indicating that you have your own bank assets available in one or more accounts that belong to you.
  • A certificate stating that you have comprehensive medical insurance if you are going to study in Sweden less than one year.
  • A document showing that you have accommodation in Sweden.

Students must also provide biometric data, includes photo and fingerprints, to the Migration Board of Sweden in order to get the residence permit card. If you do not need a visa for travel to Sweden, you should be able to show a copy of the decision of your application when you arrive. As soon as possible after you have arrived in Sweden, you should visit the Migration Board to provide the necessary biometrics, which include being fingerprinted and photographed. When your residence permit card is ready, it will be sent to your address in Sweden.

U.S. citizens do not need a visa to enter Sweden.

Thailand, Bangkok | Chulalongkorn University:

Students accepted to Chula must wait until 90 days prior to departure to apply for a non-immigrant student "ED type" visa. Students can appear in-person at the Portland office located at the address below and it is not necessary to set up an appointment. Portland does not offer "multiple entry" visas which are typically preferred by students. To get this type of visa, students must send applications to the Los Angeles Consulate.

Royal Thai Honorary Consulate General
Nicholas J. Stanley, Honorary Consul General
The Maytag Building 1136 NW Hoyt Street, Suite 210
Portland, Oregon 97209 U.S.A.